Discover design related articles and news, as well as downloads and advice related to Graphic Design, Web Design, Digital Design, Apps and more.
A design brief is vital when commencing on any design project. It is the foundation upon which a project can begin to develop successfully.
The brief explains to the designer or agency the aims, targets and ideal product outcome for the project. The brief will guide the designer as to the direction they should be taking when approaching the project, so they are able to work reflecting to the audience, brand, theme and aim.
An excellent design brief will mean excellent results, as long as the designer is correct for the job.
Writing your Brief
Follow these necessary steps and you will achieve design brief success for all your projects.
What does your business do? Designers don’t know every company or what they do, help them out by explaining clearly what it is your company does and a little about their history and target audience.
What are you trying to achieve?
The target of the new design is?
What is it used for, how will it be communicated and why?
- What makes you different or unique from your competitors?
- Are you using this to attract more people to sell more products or raising awareness?
- Is this a whole new project for your company to try and freshen their appeal or are you just updating what you already use?
Who are you aiming to attract?
What age of customers are you trying to attract?
- What is their assumed lifestyle like?
- Where do they live?
Any critical information required in the artwork
Copy Text (if any)
- Necessary brand guidelines to follow
- Provide details of who is responsible for providing these
- Where they will be used / printed ( website? Posters? Stationary?)
- Any particular colours?
Have you got any inspirational images of work that you would love to achieve?
- Guides that would help the designer know the level of work you are aiming to achieve.
Stating the budget will allow the designer to know, how to approach this, the amount of research and how to go about this and also whether you are worth their time.
By Stating the budget designers know their restrictions and will avoid problems in the future to try and raise it.
What is your target date for each step of the project?
- Concept Development
Be realistic to the size and complexity of the job, a rushed deadline will only cause mistakes and errors in the future from both parts.